Telling someone you have twisted your knee can be confusing to many. Many people do not know what possible problems can exist from a knee that has been twisted. However if you have twisted your knee to the point that there is severe pain or, you notice some instability in the knee you may want to have your orthopedic doctor examine your knee further.

A twisted knee could involve possible ligament damage if the injury was sufficient and, the ligaments of the knee are treated differently depending on which one may have been injured and to what degree. For most of us we may have a slight twist or stepped down wrong from a step for instance and felt a slight twinge when turning or pivoting. In that case try the following steps.

1. Immediately apply ice or a cold pack to the knee. 30 minutes several times day will help with the swelling and give you some pain relief. Do not apply the cold directly to your skin. Wrap your knee in a towel or other material to avoid possible skin irritation.

2. When using cold therapy always elevate your leg. elevating your leg a lttle higher then your heart helps with keeping the inflammatory process to a minimum. Elevating your leg higher then your heart also helps gravity take some of the fluid out of your knee.

3. Try taking an anti-inflammatory to control the swing is something you want to consider. Medications such as Aleve, and Motrin, for instance are effective in controlling swelling but large doses can be toxic your liver. Find out what your doctor will allow you take if you have had previous GI problems.

4. Walking can be of course a little more difficult and you may want to consider using a single point cane to help take the pressure off your affected knee. To use the cane correctly although please be sure to place it in the opposite side of the injury. For instance if you have twisted or injured your right knee place the cane in your left hand.

5. There should be a noticeable difference in pain and swelling within two to three days. if not I would recommend a visit to your orthopedist for further evaluation.